The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Around the World With Worley

Mrs. Brittany Worley
“My advice for students is to find something to get involved in. Woodrow has so many opportunities for finding a place to belong. Whether it be a sport, club, or organization, finding something to do keeps you accountable to having good grades and behavior. It also allows you to make so many good memories while in high school.” -Mrs. Brittany Worley

Mrs. Brittany Worley is a new Social Studies teacher at Woodrow Wilson High School. An alumni of Independence High School, Worley began teaching preschool at a private institution following her graduation. “Right out of high school, I got my associate’s in early childhood education from New River Community and Technical College. However, I soon found out little kids were not for me as a teacher.” Consequently, she began homeschooling her own three children.

In 2020 Worley decided that she would try teaching once more and took the Praxis Exam, unsurprisingly she passed with flying colors! This inspired her to earn her bachelor’s degree from Concord University in the education of social studies. Additionally, she double-minored in political science and history. “I graduated with the highest honors, Summa Cum Laude, and had only had one B during my entire college career.” Last year she taught seventh-grade social studies at Beckley Stratton Middle School but soon found Woodrow to be her home. “I believe teachers are very important figures of the community and Woodrow is my community. I will have a child in the school for 12 years straight. I am so excited to lay down some roots and get involved.”

Worley describes her teaching style as compassionate but structured.  “I like routines and procedures, so that is important in my classroom. I am very Type A. But, I also love bringing history to life and showing my students why it matters to them and how it relates to things going on in the world today. I have a lot of fun projects and I love class discussion.”

Currently, she is teaching about India and China. During her limited free time, she enjoys reading literature, watching her children’s sports, and participating in her husband’s church. Mrs. Worley may be new to Woodrow Wilson, but she has already shown tremendous pride in being a Flying Eagle.