The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Celebrar la Diversidad Cultural Con El Club Español (Celebrating Cultural Diversity With Spanish Club)

Celebrating+culture+and+artists+by+crafting+illustrations.+
Spanish Club Member
Celebrating culture and artists by crafting illustrations.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s Spanish Club is hosted by Ms. Brittany Saavedra. The organization, first established this year by President MK Cummings, is dedicated to individuals who have a love of Spanish culture and or language. “I wanted to start the Spanish Club because I was interested in other languages and cultures, especially in Spanish,” shares Cummings.   Students of the group participated in the crafting of papel picado (pecked paper), mini pinatas, and paper flowers. “We have also played Spanish trivia, tried different chips and salsa, and listened to Hispanic or Latin music,” Saavedra adds. Currently, the group is studying the famed painter, Pablo Picasso, and is planning to make drawings reflecting his works of Cubism. Having a love for teaching Ms. Saavedra shares the importance of the organization, “this is knowledge and experience they wouldn’t get if they didn’t come to Spanish Club.”

Offering the opportunity to participate in something, the Spanish club is particularly helpful to students who have chosen the college path as they will get to interact with the diversity that campus life brings. “It opens their minds and allows them to experience outside of what Beckley, WV has to offer.” Looking towards the future, Saavedra and Cummings hope to increase attendance for the group. Wanting more participants the group is planning a Cinco de Mayo celebration on May 6. The Spanish club meets every other Monday in room,  D-16. For more information regarding the organization please follow, “wwhs.spanishclub”