The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

WWHS Honorary Secretaries of States

Seniors, Presley Jarrell and Camden Johnson have earned the role of Honorary Secretary of State. During November, the two students held a voter registration event for Woodrow Wilson High School students. To be nominated for this prestige award, the school’s senior class had to be registered by 80 percent. With assistance from Lee Dean, a field representative, both Presley and Camden exceeded the minimum, engaging 90 percent of the graduating class to register. On October 3, a panel was held in which students had access to voting machines, could ask questions to government officials, and received “I voted” stickers. Including virtual students was a challenge. Presley and Camden contacted previous teachers of Woodrow, who now teach virtually, to incentive students into attending events. Following this, they were contacted by the current Secretary of State for West Virginia, Mac Warner, on their selection of the title. On March 6, Camden and Presley received their awards, went to the capital, and spoke to government officials. Presley commented, “I am proud and happy that we were able to receive this award, especially because we are such a bigger school. West Virginia per capita has one of the largest amount of 18-25-year-olds not registered for voting. Part of being a good leader is giving others a voice. Going on I want to encourage my adult peers to vote.” Camden also expressed his enthusiasm for the award, commenting, “receiving this award means a great deal. It serves as proof of our hard work and dedication towards the world of politics.”