The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

WWHS Service Person of the Year

Darlene+McNeel%2C+elected+as+Service+Personal+of+the+Year+for+WWHS.+
Beckleyflyingeagles- Instagram
Darlene McNeel, elected as Service Personal of the Year for WWHS.

Mrs. Darlene McNeel was awarded Service Person of the Year last week.  The Raleigh County Board Of Education recruits professionals and service personnels like McNeel as a support for their assigned schools. “Most professionals are teachers, administration, and counselors at the school level,” states Mrs. McNeel. Service Personnel consists of bus drivers, aides, cooks, custodians, and secretaries. Mrs. McNeel has been in the school system as a permanent employee for 12 years and has been subsisting as a secretary for the previous four years. Starting in the child nutrition/payroll secretary position, Mrs. McNeel scannned grab and go every morning, as well as at all three lunches. “I loved greeting the kids with ‘good morning and have a great day’,” expresses McNeel. As payroll secretary, McNeel’s responsibilities included having a tab on the payroll for all Woodrow Wilson High School employees. After her position concluded, Mrs. McNeel accepted the position as the secretary of financing,“with changing times came changing duties.” Her favorite part about her job is getting to share a good laugh with her coworkers and students. Mrs. McNeel’s desire for change led her to work at a high school. “I advise the students to smile and work as a team.” While assisting the principals, she is also able to assist all students. Mrs. McNeel’s goals for the upcoming year are to keep smiling and to continue to assist anyone who is in need. Mr. Stafford, head principal at Woodrow, informed Mrs. McNeel of her triumph in becoming Service Person of the Year, and she accepted with great honor.