The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Once an Eagle, Always an Eagle

Ms. Carson McKinney is one of the newest teachers at Woodrow Wilson High School. A 2022 graduate of Marshall University, and a Woodrow 2018 alumni, she began her teaching career last year at Woodrow. Thus far, McKinney has enjoyed her experience as an educator. 

McKinney teaches the complex subjects of English 12, Advanced Placement Literature and Composition, and Journalism. This year, she steps in to the role of the new adviser for The Eagle Dispatch, Woodrow’s school newspaper. During her years as a college student, McKinney wrote for Marshall’s newspaper, The Parthenon. In addition to a bachelor’s degree in English education, she has also earned a minor in Journalism. She plans to further her education with a masters and PhD in English Literature.

From an early age, McKinney had a deep passion for the language arts, as well as reading and writing. “I can remember writing stories at school when I had completed class assignments, or during additional free time.” As a student, she took several writing courses and was often acknowledged for her work. McKinney has always had a deep value for learning and growth. “I always want to grow and avoid becoming stagnant, especially in regards to education. Growth is important, it’s what allows improvement.”

As a young teacher, she has faced challenges. McKinney explains that teaching, especially teaching advanced courses, is a role with many other duties. “Teaching is only a fraction of what we must accomplish each day. There is no true preparation that will provide the reality of teaching and the many hats we must wear.”

However, no challenge will ever replace her joy of knowing that she is educating the next generation and is making an impact on the lives of her students. When asked about advice she would give to students wanting to become teachers, McKinney added, “It’s a busy and time-consuming job, but you have to trust your instincts and follow your passions. Don’t let anyone try to stray you away from your dreams. We need passionate teachers in the classroom.”