The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Health, Science, Community: WWHS HSTA

Alexia Pena
Woodrow Wilson High School science teacher stands proud as adviser of HSTA.

Woodrow Wilson High School offers an after school program, HSTA (Health, Science, Technology Academy) to help students further their education. Advisers of the group include Woodrow teachers Mrs. Emily Smith and Mrs. Patricia Treadway. Smith shares, “HSTA is a mentoring program in the state of West Virginia that helps under privileged students enter and succeed in STEM+M-based undergraduate and graduate degree programs.” The main goal of HSTA is to help students who are financially unstable obtain a diploma and explore the world of academics after graduation. Students in the organization are academically challenged, forcing the creation of a personal connection to what they are learning. During the course of summer, members are invited to stay at college campuses across the state. Additionally, during the school year, they do many activities to learn about the field of science.

Next month, the group will start their annual symposium where students will present research projects to a panel of judges. Data from the research project will be collected by surveys conducted by the student’s own accord. Successful participants of the program are awarded with a significant reduction of college tuition.

In order to attend HSTA, students must meet the requirements. “Students must attend after-school club meetings, complete an annual community-based research project, attend two summer camps, complete 75 hours of community service, and maintain a higher than average GPA.” Students that are interested in HSTA must apply and will attend the program throughout their high school career. HSTA meets every Monday afternoon in D-24.