The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

WWHS Recruitment Day

On March 14, Woodrow Wilson High School students attended a recruitment day at Beckley Stratton and Park Middle Schools. The goal of this ensemble was to engage upcoming freshmen to join one of Woodrow’s honored programs: JROTC, Performance Theatre, or Marching Band. Each organization held a brief conference in which they performed and spoke on the group’s application process, what they do throughout the school year, and individual experiences. Allowed only a selected amount of time per group the middle school students were allowed to engage with selected high schoolers on questions they might have. After the conclusion of all performances, Principal Ryan Stafford showed great pride for his pupils while speaking on the importance of attendance, the grading process of high school, and the Academy of Careers In Technology. In addition, Woodrow counselors  were present to discuss scheduling for next year, giving every student forms to fill out.

JROTC was the first to present at both middle schools. Senior Master Sergeant Shane Eaton and Major Carpenter added, “We marched into the middle schools to show professionalism. We talked to the middle schoolers about what all JROTC does and showed a video.” Wanting to encourage students to join members of the organization were selected to do a routine and pass out candies. Evan Taylor, who has participated in the class for the previous two years shared the emotional power of being in the program could bring. We realized that no one knew who we were or what we did until we went out to the middle schools and talked to them. They thought we were super strict and didn’t smile or anything, but we seriously do have a lot of fun and are only serious when we need to be serious.”

After the conclusion of the JROTC presentation, the theatre performance class led by Mrs. Pamela Shrader went on stage. Collectively dressed in their “Tarzan” shirts, the group started by singing songs from their spring musical. Each senior of the group received an invitation to attend and speak on how theatre changed the direction of their high school career. The band conducted an extravagant performance with a variety of songs: Smash Something, Coldheart, ESPN, Vehicle, and Fireball. Discussions of the group included coming to summer camps and practices.