The Latest from the Court: WWHS Basketball

Photos by Heather Belcher

Tip-off at the Lady Eagles v. Greenbrier East game.

Hinckley J. Carter, Sports Editor

Woodrow Wilson High School’s basketball teams have each had a rough start to their seasons. With the boys starting 3-7 and the girls starting 3-10, can the Flying Eagles come back for the playoffs? 

On January 31st, the Lady Eagles traveled to Greenbrier East while the boys played Wyoming East at home. The boys played well, but unfortunately lost by a two-point deficit. This left them with a record of 3-8. 

Although the boys lost, the story was different for our Lady Eagles. Within a tough atmosphere at Greenbrier East, arguably Woodrow’s biggest rival, Woodrow pulled off a win, bringing excitement and pride back home to Beckley. The final score read 55-50, keeping the game a cliffhanger until the clock hit zero. This win moved the Lady Eagles to a record of 3 wins and 10 losses with 4 games left to play (excluding the Sectional tournament, Regional Championship, and State tournament). 

Woodrows girls’ basketball team also beat Princeton on February 3rd, 2022, which was also senior night for the Lady Flying Eagles. Olivia Ziolkowski and Adriana Law were honored. Woodrow will play again on February 9th at Bluefield. 

The boys also played Greenbrier East on February 5th at home in the Armory, which sadly resulted in another loss. Girls’ sectionals begin February 21st and the Boys’ sectionals begin February 25th. If they win, they will move on to the regional championship, which will improve their standing in the state tournament.