The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Marching Ahead: WWHS Marching Band Plans For 2025

Woodrow Wilson Highschool Band Facebook
Woodrow Wilson High School band performs in the auditorium.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s band has recently participated in a variety of activities. The band concert, taking place on May 17 ended with much praise. “The band played extremely well and we had a great reaction from the audience,” director, Marshall Rickman states. Additionally the band has taken part in Step Up day, hosted auditions for parts, and has practiced for graduation. Following the conclusion of these events, the Flying Eagle Band is ready for their next season.

After the finalization of the auditioning process (which included writing an essay, receiving letters of recommendation, and interviews with staff), next year’s captains and drum majors were selected. Captains of the band are responsible for their respective section, these individuals include: Camden Estepp, Brigid Black-Shewsury, Bailey Meadows, Charlea Raines, Kaleb Duff, Haley Jo Anderson, Stephen Wharton, Rowan Lily, Devyn Lanna, Sabrina Dillion, Taylor Salango, and Kazlyn Hughart. Drum majors serve as the conductors, keeping everyone on the correct beat.  This year’s selection included two musically gifted seniors, Kaleigh Basham and Jheyda Hopkins.

During football games and marching competitions, the group will perform, Jewel and the Dragon, by Randall Strandridge. Earlier this year the band was invited to play at the Pip-Tarts Bowl in Florida, during this time the band will also attend Universal in Orlando, as a treat. Goals for next year include winning first place in the Governor’s Cup. To stay updated with the band please follow, “beckleyflyingeagles” on Instagram.