The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Springing into Testing: Advanced Placement Testing Begins

Advanced+Placement+testing+begins+May+6%2C+2024.+
    Advanced Placement testing begins May 6, 2024.
    In collaboration with College Board, Raleigh County Schools will soon be hosting Advanced Placement testing. Throughout the year, teachers prepare their AP students for this very moment.
    Providing a higher academic challenge and the opportunity to earn college credit, these examinations are on a five point scale. A three or better on this scale will give the recipient college credit.
    Mrs. Meribeth Underwood has taught Advanced Placement language for many years. With desires of her current junior AP English Language and Composition classes obtaining English 101 credit, she has assigned free response questions, multiple choice tests, and long essays. On May 23, 2024, these methods will be implemented as her students test.
     AP United States History instructor, Mr. John Quensenberry, has focused on the perfection of writing short answered questions and document based questions. Additionally, he follows Mrs. Underwood in the practice of long essay writings.
    Ms. Carson McKinney, a first-time AP English Literature and Composition educator, proudly states her goals for this year, adding, “I want my students to feel as prepared as possible, with the capability to do the best they can in the time given.”  To achieve this, readings and discussions of classic literature have been held. In addition, she implemented timed writings, anticipation guides, comprehension questions, and note taking skills into her curriculum.
    Currently, Woodrow Wilson High School offers 12 Advanced Placement courses. Testing will be conducted throughout the month of May, starting Monday, May 6. The location of these examinations has been selected by the board office, the building of the old Sylvia School. Photo identification must be presented to the test admin.
    The Eagle Dispatch at WWHS wishes all AP students good luck with their examinations.