The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Scholastic Aptitude Testing Goes Digital

Juniors - 
Make sure Chromebooks are charged on April 16 for the Digital SAT.
Princeton Review
Juniors – Make sure Chromebooks are charged on April 16 for the Digital SAT.

In participation with Raleigh County, Woodrow Wilson High School will be participating in the SAT (Scholastic Aptitude Testing) on Tuesday, April 16, 2024. Designed by the College Board, the SAT will be divided into four modules consisting in the areas of mathematics and language. Throughout the day, juniors taking the exam will be kept in an alphabetically selected room with two trained faculty members.

Originally crafted in 1926, the standardized test has transformed in many ways. The most recent update of the SAT includes entering the world of technology. The first digital SAT was held on March 9, 2024, and has been reported as extremely successful. Benefits of this new era include having an adaptive feature for students. As you progress, the exam will generate questions to the skill level demonstrated. For example, if you do poorly on a question the next question will be better set to your knowledge. Additionally, a faster rate of receiving scores and a decrease in the amount of time testing takes have been demonstrated.

The Raleigh County Board of Education decided that students would have the best opportunity of achieving a high score by attempting the virtual testing. Wanting to guarantee clarity, administration has decided to rehearse the SAT today, April 10, during fifth period. During this time, underclassmen students will report to assigned classrooms, while seniors will assemble in the auditorium.

Scoring of the SAT consists of a 1600-400 scale, with a national average of 1028. For the famed Promise Scholarship, students will need to achieve 1080, having at least a 510 in each subject. If furthering your education after high school, the Promise Scholarship will pay approximately $5,200 per year, or the cost of tuition and mandatory fees at any eligible institution.

A total of 98 questions will be distributed, with the writing and reading portion taking a majority. Most colleges look at your SAT score as a rate of how academically successful you will be post-secondary.