The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Mia Houck: “I’ve Been Waiting for This Moment”

Jessica R.
“Get Involved with as many clubs, organizations, and sports as you can. You will meet some of your best friends through them. That is what made my time as a Flying Eagle so close to my heart.”

Crossing the stage one final time, Mia Houck graduates from Woodrow Wilson High School this spring. Known for her beautiful voice and acting across the county, Mia is loved by many. During her high school career, Mia has participated in Theatre Performance, Tri-M, Student Council, Game Day Club, Vice Presidency of the National Honors Society, Track, and Chorus. On stage, she has performed many roles, including ensemble and main cast. However, her most recent portrayal of Jane Porter has a special place in her heart. “Theatre has been the most important and exciting part of being a flying eagle. On stage, you don’t have to worry about being you. Regardless of the role’s size, your main focus becomes that character.”

When free, Mia can be found reading works of fiction, singing at different establishments, and writing musical arrangements. Planning ahead, Mia has ambitions of becoming a lawyer through West Virginia University in Morgantown. “I wasn’t always sure of what I wanted to do. However, I did know that I wanted to apply my reading comprehension and writing talents to help others in need. After changing my mind several times I finally decided that law would make the most out of my interests. I choose to stay in the state as a way to stay connected with family and friends. When looking at programs, WVU stood out.”

Enthusiastic about graduation, Mia expresses great joy for this new chapter. “I am thrilled to be graduating. Everything I have done these past four years has been leading to this one moment. As we cross the stage we make room for the next generation.” Reflecting on the previous four years, Mia has celebrated many triumphs, including being on the prom court, placing in the state track competition, and being an Advanced Placement student. Thankful for the many teachers who have touched her life, Mia wishes to extend a special gratitude towards Mrs. Pam Shrader and Mrs. Jerri Stack. “They have encouraged me to step out of my comfort zone by supporting me during great trials. Anytime I needed help with a song or certain scene, both Mrs. Stack and Mrs. Shrader would ensure to guide me through it. In many ways, they have become my family. I will always be thankful for them, as they have shaped who I have become.”