The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Ishmael Fayiah: The Final Laugh

ECHO Yearbook Staff
“Do your homework, and know how to spell and know your multiplication table, Ishmael Fayiah signing out.”

Ishmael Fayiah is graduating with the class of 2024 this spring. A light-hearted individual, Ishmael feels conflicted about leaving his alma mater, “I am excited for the new adventure that I am going to have, but I am very saddened to leave my family and friends, the people I have grown up with. Beckley has been my whole life. It’s very hard to just leave your past like that. However, I can’t wait for the future that’s ahead of me, and the new people I’m going to meet.”

In addition to being a journalist for the school’s newspaper, Ishmael also participates in theatre performances, is a star soccer and track participant, sings chorus, and works a part-time job. During his limited free time, he enjoys snowboarding, reading Manga, dancing, wearing fashionable clothing, and playing video games. Planning for a bright future, Ishmael has ambitions of becoming a therapist. Earlier this year he was accepted into West Virginia University to study psychology. His proudest accomplishments through his high school career include winning sectionals in soccer and becoming an Advanced Placement student. “Throughout my high school career, I never thought I was up to par to take any AP classes. However, I met a wonderful teacher named Ms. McKinney who put some confidence in me and told me to trust myself. I am very grateful for that, she taught me I can do great things.”

Bringing a great sense of joy to the classroom, the senior class voted Ishmael as the official class clown. Senior Vai Simmions shares a journalism class with Ishmael. When asked about his personality, she reported, “Ishmael always keeps the classroom smiling. He brings a positive energy everywhere he goes, and it shows on others.”

Reflecting on the previous four years, Ishmael says to “enjoy the time that you have because life goes pretty fast. Right now you’re here with your friends in this building for eight hours, but at the snap of a finger, you will be in a different place, facing new challenges, and experiencing new adventures. Always show respect and kindness because it will always make a difference.”