The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Soaring to Regionals: Woodrow’s Basketball Team Takes the Court

WWHS+Boys+Basketball+competes+in+AAAA+Region+3+Championship.+
    Heather Belcher
    WWHS Boys Basketball competes in AAAA Region 3 Championship.

Woodrow Wilson’s boys basketball team has had a great season so far, and it’s not over yet! This season they have had 14 wins and nine losses. Currently they are on a winning streak of four games for the road to states! They beat Princeton 88-60 to win the AAAA Section 2 title on Saturday, March 2nd. They are ranked 1st in the Freelance Region, 14th in AAAA division, and overall 24th in West Virginia. 

The head coach is Ron Kidd and the assistant coaches are James Lewis, Michael Folks, and Eric Dillon. The varsity team consists of Coby Dillon, Elijah Redfern, Zyon Hawthorne, Nazir King, Andre Thomas, Preston Clary, Jalyon Walton, Javontae Wynes, Braylon Mickey, Drew Fitzwater, Lucas Raney, and Owen Gunter. The top performers of the team include Elijah Redfern for most points per game and for most free throws made, Coby Dillon for most three-pointers made, and Jalyon Walton for most rebounds per game. 

“Tonight is definitely a big game, it’s win or go home. Right now, we’re playing really good basketball, so all of us are feeling pretty confident. We know what GW has, and have prepared for them. Individually, and as a team, we’ve all put in lots of work and I’m proud of how far we’ve come,” Dillon shares. “Overall, we’ve had a rocky season. Playing one of the toughest schedules across the state, our best player getting hurt just two games in, it wasn’t easy whatsoever. But, we kept pushing and these past couple of games, we’ve been playing really well together. I’m excited for tonight and what’s at stake, a trip to Charleston. We know we have to get it and it won’t be easy. But, we believe.” 

They continue the road to states tonight against George Washington at the armory at 7 pm for the AAAA Region 3 Championship. The theme is cowboy/cowgirl. Tickets are sold online on Go Fan. Be there and be loud!