The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Dedication and Discipline: Woodrow’s AFJROTC Drill Team’s Calculation For Success

Woodrow+Wilson+High+School%E2%80%99s+AFJROTC+Drill+Team+wins+state+competition.+
Official AFJROTC Instagram: “wv-391_official_instagram“
Woodrow Wilson High School’s AFJROTC Drill Team wins state competition.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s AFJROTC  (Air Force Junior Reserve Officer Training Corps) Drill team once again brought the school a great amount of prestige as they competed in the West Virginia All Service High School State Drill Championship on Saturday, Jan.27. The group competed in six divisions earning first place in Armed Regulation Drill, Unarmed Regulation Drill, Unarmed Exhibition, Armed Inspection, and Armed Color Guard.  Additionally, they achieved a second place ranking in Armed Exhibition. Judges of the competition evaluated on the command of the teams, technical proficiency, team precision, knowledge, and attention to detail. Six teams participated in the competition, representing 29 high schools across the state. In conclusion to the contest, Woodrow’s AFJROTC Drill Team was declared the number one program.

While honored about this tremendous title, Senior Master Sargent Eaton explains that many hours and sacrifices go into achieving such a high ranking. “We practice 12-15 hours every week, including practices on the weekend, early mornings (5:00am) and every day until 5:00pm! They all make sacrifices for the good of the team, and it is an awesome feeling knowing that all of their hard work pays off!  I can always hold my head high when I am around them. We are very respected by all teams throughout the state.”

Currently the group is in preparation for a regional drill competition in which they will participate later this month. They will compete against current standing Air Force National Champions and three other top ten teams from the Air Force Championship.

Other planned activities of the group include the pursuing of two national titles. The first will be the Air Force National High School Drill Team Championship in Dayton, Ohio on March 16, 2024 against 870 teams. The second will be the National High School Drill Team Championship in Daytona Beach, Florida on May 5-7, 2o24.

To receive updates on the team and witness their journey, follow the official AFJROTC Instagram, “wv_391_offical_insta.”