The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Pen to Paper: “Young Writers” Unfolds

Woodrow+students+are+using+their+creative+minds+and+writing+skills+as+they+prepare+for+the+Young+Writers+competition+for+2024.+%0APictured%3A+Londen+Baker+
Caroline Webb
Woodrow students are using their creative minds and writing skills as they prepare for the “Young Writers” competition for 2024. Pictured: Londen Baker

Students of Woodrow Wilson High School will be participating in the annual “Young Writers” competition. Originating in 1984, the contest is funded by the state of West Virginia and Marshall University. While some instructors make participation required, all agree it is a great way for students to be creative. Woodrow is allotted to only submit two students to the county competition (one freshman or sophomore, and one junior or senior.) When selecting finalists, judges look for style, craftsmanship, and readability. After the final winners are awarded, their final draft will be entered into the county competition on Feb. 12. Participants are allowed to write on any subject, however, judges traditionally favor the Historical Fiction genre. County winners will be decided on Feb. 26. First-place winners will resume their journey to the state competition on May 3 and will be treated to workshops with published authors and writers. Proceeding to the final competition, contestants will earn $100 for first place, $50 for second place,  and $25 for third place. In addition to a material prize, winning is also considered a great honor.