The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Helping Our Flying Friends

Alexia Pena
    Woodrow’s Earth and Garden Club helps our environment by installing bird boxes in school’s Wet Land Project.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s Earth and Gardening Club is assembling bird boxes for Woodrow’s Wetland Habitat Restoration Project. Funds for the creation of the bird homes were generously donated by Jim Fedders with Piney Creek Watershed Association and the Beckley Area Foundation. Each box will be crafted by a member of the school’s Earth and Gardening Club, feature an attached laminated sheet with information on local inhabitants, and provide wrapping to protect the creatures from predators. The construction itself will include a rebar pole in the ground, along with tiny grooves to help fledglings fly. To reduce the amount of disease, doors will be attached to the structure to provide easier maintenance. All leftover material will be recycled properly after installation.

In addition to both the Biology Curriculum of Mr. Brandon Peter’s and Earth Club members, students of the school are encouraged to come and volunteer for their community and environment. If enough boxes are created, the group plans to add habitats to locations like the Paul Cline Memorial Soccer Complex and Fitzpatrick Park. Construction officially begins Wednesday, Nov. 29 after the second bell.