The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

WWHS Volleyball Team Serves Their Way To States

Woodrow+Wilson+High+School+Volleyball+Team+makes+their+way+to+the+State+Competition.+
    WWHS Yearbook Staff
    Woodrow Wilson High School Volleyball Team makes their way to the State Competition.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s Volleyball Team has had a victorious season thus far, currently with a score of 40-8-9, winning the previous 14 games. The team is led by Coach Bre Rhodes, a Woodrow alumni. Rhodes has coached the team for the previous 12 seasons and served as the head coach for nine years. Current captains of the team include seniors, Saira Diehl and Emily Gallaher, and junior, Abby Dillion. Diehl reflects on her last season, adding,”I couldn’t be more proud of how far the team has come since joining four years ago. It has been an amazing opportunity to play alongside teammates and serves as a great wrap to my high school career.”

On Nov.1 the team secured their spot in Regionals after defeating rival, Greenbrier East High School during the Sectional Tournament. Last Saturday, Nov.4, the team once again triumphed, beating South Charleston and George Washington during the AAA Regional game. Consequently, the team was awarded the Regional title, earning a spot in the State Championship on Wednesday, Nov.8 at 8:30 a.m.

Winning the game will result in the team playing later that day at 6:00 p.m. If advanced the team will participate in the final State Competition Thursday, Nov. 9. All three games will be hosted in the Charleston Coliseum & Convention Center. Students are encouraged to attend the tournament in support of the team. All absences related will be excused.