The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Prosperidad, Fuerza, y Progreso (Prosperity, Power, and Progress)

Alexia Pena
    Woodrow Wilson High School welcomes new Spanish teacher.

Hispanic Heritage Month celebrates the diverse cultures of Hispanic communities throughout the world. From Sept.15- Oct.15 people around the world delight in festivities, rejoicing in their independence. This year Woodrow Wilson High School indulges in the event by welcoming a new Spanish teacher, Ms. Saavedra.   

Saavedra obtained her undergrad in the Liberal Arts at Marshall University and achieved a Master’s in Teaching from American Public University. Though she has been teaching for 11 years, this will be her first year teaching Spanish as a subject. “I started as an elementary school teacher in Kanawha County and I transferred to Raleigh County.” Her love for the language inspired her to be a Spanish teacher. “Before being an elementary school teacher I wanted to teach Spanish. I’ve always enjoyed it in school, it was the one thing I was good at. I get excited about Spanish and people learning about it.” Her goal for teaching the language is to create lifelong learners. Learning a foreign language can be challenging, but it comes with many benefits. “They can expand their community, knowledge, and world.” Knowing foreign languages is key to being able to communicate and bond with others. “

In the United States, English is the primary language. However, many other languages can be discovered for those who seek them. Along with speaking Spanish, she has also been teaching herself Portuguese. Currently, she is showing the movie Selena and teaching the fundamentals of the language, including the alphabet, the colors, and the numbers. Saavedra currently teaches Spanish 1 for the fall semester and plans to add Spanish 2 in the spring.