The Eagle Dispatch

The Student News Site of Woodrow Wilson High School

The Eagle Dispatch

The Eagle Dispatch

Woodrow’s New Sound

Photo credit: WWHS Flying Eagle Marching Band
    Woodrow Wilson’s High School Marching Band for 2023-2024 soars in number.

Woodrow Wilson High School’s 2023-2024 marching band has many new faces, including a new director, Marshall Rickman. Originally a Woodrow Alumni, Rickman has been a part of the art of marching band since his high school career. During his time as a student, he played the tuba and spent every moment possible within the walls of the band room. After graduating from Marshall University, he served as the band director of Park Middle School for several years. However, returning to his alma mater has always been a dream of his. While excited about the transition from middle to high school he also describes the event as crazy in the beginning.”It’s a job with many many roles and responsibilities, there is a difference between the two. I have to not only worry about the band sounding and performing well but also scheduling and collaborating with other schools in the area.”

This year Rickman has chosen to perform the compilation “Rituals” during competitions and halftime shows. The show itself features two majorette solos and one flute solo which are completed by Lexi Jones, Taylor Salango, and Kayleigh Basham. Other songs played by the band include: Flying Eagle March, West Virginia Medley, Smash, Sweet Caroline, and ESPN.

Currently, the band is ranked as ‘AAA’ in competitions and has recently been awarded first place for percussion. The band’s next home performance will take place Sept. 22 during the halftime of Woodrow’s football game against Lincoln County. If you wish to see more of the band’s wins you can follow “WWHS Flying Eagle Marching Band” on Facebook.