Extraordinary Extracurriculars!

L. Shrewsberry

Fellowship of Christian Athletes is just one of many cubs at WWHS to get students involved.

Emma Mitchem, Writer

With the beginning of the school year coming to an end, there are many opportunities opening up for students to branch out and try new things. It’s easy to feel invisible and overwhelmed in a school as big and crowded as Woodrow Wilson High School that has a student population of roughly 1,300 students. Perhaps you’re new in town and trying to find your interests and new friend groups. If you feel like this could be you, then you are in luck. There are many clubs to choose from at Woodrow Wilson that could help you figure out where you will thrive. They could even help you develop skills that will carry over into your life after high school.

Our school has a plethora of clubs and classes for students to take part in and get involved in a community of students. Clubs are a particularly effective way to make new friends whether you are new to high school and looking for a group to “belong” to or a student looking for an outlet to express yourself. There is also a selection of brand-new elective classes for students to launch themselves into the rest of the school year. There is no pressure to join of course, but you will never regret trying; these clubs are here to help you figure out your interests and make connections.

If you are religious or are interested in learning about the Bible, Mrs. Bivins, Mrs. McLain, and Mrs. Phares are the sponsors of Bible Club and meetings are usually held in C-3 on Mondays starting 2:30 until about 3:00. Maybe you are a sporty person or enjoy spectating, there is the choice of Gameday Club that meets in C-10 and is sponsored by Mr. Gardener (the club usually meets on Tuesdays); their aim is to increase school spirit at sporting events and make it a welcoming space for everyone to get involved. If the Earth and ways to protect the environment through conservation and recycling are things that interest you, Ms. Hutchinson sponsors Woodrow’s Gardens and Earth Club that meets in D-23 after school on either Wednesdays or Thursdays. The Diverse Students Organization (DSO) is an especially important club here, with the goal of promoting equality and alliance between all kinds of ethnic and cultural groups, especially in these times of challenging adversity. DSO gives students a safe space to express themselves and discuss their experiences as people of color and gives allies an outlet to listen to these experiences and learn how to be better allies.

These are just a couple of the many clubs you can join. Keep an ear and eye out for other information about clubs through the morning and evening announcements, posters in the hall, or even posts on social media about club meetings.

No matter where you are on the social spectrum — popular, unpopular, cool, nerdy, or somewhere in between — you can always find a place to belong with extracurricular activities!